"When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and all your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money." Susan Heller, Author

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Green Eggs and Ham

Monday my friend Diana, and her sister Emily, arrived for a stay of several days.  Since I needed to pick them up in Salerno I thought I would stop first at some Greek ruins south of the city.



Paestum (PASTE-oom) is one of the best collections of Greek temples anywhere.  There are three temples plus other smaller ruins situated in a large open field.  The city was originally founded by the Greeks in the 6th century BC and called Poseidonia.  They were imposing and spectacular.  Hard to believe they could survive in such a good condition over such a long period of time.
The plan for later in the day was to pick up Diana and Emily about 1:15.  Unfortunately the doors on their train were stuck closed and they couldn't get off at their stop.  Oh my, what an afternoon of trying to figure things out.  Traffic in these cities is insane.  There is one rule of the road, GO, regardless of whether you have the right of way or not.  I had no map, no idea where to wait for their next train, no idea of where the train station was but it all worked out.  The line from Green Eggs and Ham kept popping into my head as I tried to negotiate my way around...'I do not like this Sam I Am, I do not like Green Eggs and Ham.'  I really was blessed with many tender mercies of the Lord that afternoon.  I'm becoming pretty adept at going with the flow.  I hope and pray I make it out of here in one piece (especially the rental car).

No comments:

Post a Comment