"When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and all your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money." Susan Heller, Author

Friday, October 15, 2010

O Mio Babbino Caro

Tonight I was thrilled when the aria 'O Mio Babbino Cara' from Puccini's opera 'Gianni Schicchi' was performed at a concert I attended.  I think this is my all time favorite aria (I'm unfortunately not a opera buff so my list of favorites is pretty short).  The city of Lucca sponsors nightly concerts featuring Puccini's music (this is his home town).  Tonight he shared the bill with Mozart.  It was held in the San Giovanni church where he worked as an organist before he became a big time composer.  It was a lovely experience and will definitely be one of the highlights of my trip.  I may go back for more tomorrow night.



Today I also went to Pisa, a short 30 minute wonderful bus ride, to see the sites.  It did not disappoint.  I was a little surprised at the throngs of tourists surrounding the cathedral and tower.  I guess I shouldn't have been since this is one of Italy's most iconic sites.  Seeing the Leaning Tower of Pisa is a little like seeing the Eiffel Tower for the first time.  You can't believe you're really there and that it's the real deal.  I purchased a ticket to climb the tower and waited my turn.  Inside it's a little disconcerting because you are walking up steps that are definitely leaning to one side.  The stairs are worn from years of wear and the passage way is narrow but it was so much fun.  I debated whether it was worth the 15 euro ticket but figured I wouldn't be coming back anytime soon and I could check it off my bucket list.







I also toured the Cathedral which was very beautiful and the Baptistry.  

I think it's interesting these days of baptism by sprinkling that the Roman Catholic church used to baptize by immersion.  Something must have gotten lost in translation or fell out of favor.  The acoustics in the Baptistry were amazing. Today a couple of security guards stood at the baptismal font and sang three tones within 10 seconds and made a chord, creating a harmony by themselves.  A woman also sang a bit of 'Ave Maria', so beautiful.




In the Cathedral the most stunning piece of art is a huge mosaic completed in 1300 of Jesus Christ between Mary and John.  The style is not what you will find in most other Italian cathedrals, but more Eastern Orthodox or Byzantine.  In 1200 AD Pisa was a powerful sea-trading power and  traded with both Europeans and Byzantine Christians as far south as North Africa and as far east as Syria.




When I returned to Lucca I finally took a turn around the battlements of their walled city.  Lucca has had a protective wall for 2000 years beginning with a Roman wall, then later medieval wall and the 16th century wall which survives today.  It stretches for 2.5 miles.  Today I walked, tomorrow I want to rent a bike and experience it on wheels.  The pathway is wide and lined with trees and grass.  What a beautiful way to enjoy your city, from above the roof tops.







All in all, a great day.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That is so cool that you climbed inside the leaning tower of Pisa!!! I didn't know they let you do that. That is so awesome. It sounds so beautiful there.

    ReplyDelete