"When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and all your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money." Susan Heller, Author

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Stairstepper

My diet lately has consisted of gelato, pasta, pastries, hot chocolate (this deserves it's own post), pesto, croissants, pizza, cheese, ham and diet coke.  I'm definitely not getting my 5 fruits and veggies a day, even though I am making an effort (do tomatoes on pizza count?).  To justify all these calories Italy along with many other things invented stairs.  Today I climbed about 4 flights of stairs (at least 200 stairs, more if you consider how much my feet hurt in my new boots) at the Uffiza, another 100 or so at the Pitti Palace and then 414 at the Campanile (cathedral's bell tower).  Add onto that the stairs up to the lobby at my hotel, up to my room and all the walking I'm doing around town.  I just hope I'm breaking even.

Yes, you could use a spoon to eat this hot chocolate



While climbing the bell tower I temporarily forgot it was a bell tower.  That is until the bells started ringing at 5:45.  The walls inside this medieval narrow staircase vibrated and the sound was so loud I had to grab the sides to keep my balance.  It's a whole new experience to be on the inside listening to the bells instead of out on the piazza.  An interesting fact I learned while reading Charles Dickens 'Little Dorrit' this past week.  Church bells ring at quarter to the hour to remind the townsfolk to get to the church in time for services which begin on the hour.  Now you know and so do I.




No comments:

Post a Comment