"When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and all your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money." Susan Heller, Author

Monday, October 18, 2010

Room with a view, almost

In the book, 'A Room With a View', the heroine, Lucy Honeychurch, arrives in Florence with her older cousin at their pensione (hotel) and is disappointed to discover they did not receive the rooms with a view of the river Arno as they had been promised. I had no expectations of a room with a view when I arrived in Florence but was pleasantly surprised when I discovered I had a partial view.  I do face the Arno and the only thing blocking my view are some trees from a lovely little park right outside my window.  Lucy eventually got her room with a view and a whole lot more in the bargain (you'll have to read the book).  My view (with a lovely window I can open) comes with a lot of traffic noise.



The weather has definitely taken a turn the past several days.  It rained and cooled down in Lucca and we had rain last night in Florence and it's been very windy and cool.  It was a struggle to pack for this trip knowing from location to location the weather would vary from 60 to 80.  I packed for weather about 70 and am regretting it.  I also didn't think out my footwear options very thoughtfully.  I've ended up doing a little shopping which I'm sure will make me more comfortable out in the elements but only means that much more to pack.

I've discovered a few obvious ways to tell the Italians and American tourists apart:  Italians - boots, Americans - white sneakers, Cynde - sandals; Italians - wool coats and scarfs, Americans - TNF jackets, Cynde - two sweaters and a scarf; Italians - sunglasses always, Americans - cameras; Italians - men in slacks and dress shirts with a sweater draped over their shoulders, Americans - shorts and tee-shirts.  I feel I score a minor victory when an Italian stops and asks me a question.  I can only shake my head and say, No Italiano.


Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment