"When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and all your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money." Susan Heller, Author

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Book Lust

I thought I'd share the list of books (via my Kindle) I read while on sabbatical:

These is My Words - Nancy Turner.  This is my book clubs selection for November.  Loved it, loved it.  I'm looking forward to reading the sequels.



Pope Joan - Donna Woolfolk Cross.  I thought this would be interesting to read since I'd be in Italy, home of the Roman Catholic Church.  In my opinion, don't bother.

A Room with a View - E.M. Forster.  Part of the novel takes place in and around Florence.  It was fun to read from the perspective of tourists in Italy at the turn of the 20th century.  Also you have to love a book in which the heroine's name is Lucy Honeychurch.  Enjoyed it.



Persuasion - Jane Austen.  My favorite Austen novel.  A romance gone wrong put right.



Little Dorrit - Charles Dickens.  According to my Kindle I've read 73% of the book.  It's quite an undertaking but a fabulous story and well worth the investment of time.  Part of the story takes place in Venice and Rome.  If you don't have time to read it check out the latest BBC production on DVD.  It was broadcast on PBS a year or two ago.  Wonderful as well.



The Continuous Atonement - Brad Wilcox.  I haven't quite finished this one either.  Brother Wilcox offers some wonderful insights into the Savior's atonement.  It's obviously a topic that requires a lot of thought and consideration.  I'm sure I'll read this book more than once.

I still have several books I didn't get a chance to read and a stack on my dresser at home.  I'll need another sabbatical to make a dent in my reading list.

1 comment:

  1. Cyndee, I have had fun looking at your pictures and reading your commentary. It sounds like you had a wonderful trip. Thanks for sharing!

    I also loved, loved, LOVED These is My Words. I didn't realize there were sequels and am excited to go find those now. I read Pope Joan a couple of months ago and thought it was just okay. Some parts of it were interesting, but I never really got into the love story and was not a fan of the ending.

    ReplyDelete